Sunday, October 07, 2007

October = Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I wanted to remind everyone that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Please make sure that all of your family and friends are aware of how to check themselves for this disease.

Yesterday in Des Moines, Iowa, the Race for the Cure took place. This is an annual 5k run and walk that is put on to honor of those victims and survivors of breast cancer. This year I took my 2-½ year old daughter to watch her mother take part in this annual run. This is an annual trip in my family as we feel it is important to honor all of those that have been affected by this disease. Personally, I have an aunt that is a survivor of breast cancer, so it really brings an extra special meaning to our family.

I am truly in awe every year at this event. 20,000+ people take part in this great event every year. It truly is inspiring to see so many people run in honor of their friends, family, and others. The most inspiring scene, however, is to see all of the survivors themselves take part in this amazing race!

Breast Cancer will affect one in eight women (according to a race official I met downtown). That is an alarming statistic. Again, remember to make sure your loved ones take the actions needed to check for this disease. And, please visit the Susan G. Komen website for more information on this disease, as well as to make a donation in support of breast cancer research!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a cancer survivor myself, props to you for bringing awareness to this issue and to a very great cause.