Monday, August 18, 2008

Motivational Monday: Hard Working Leadership


"Leaders aren't born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that's the price we'll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal." - Vince Lombardi



I don't feel that I was born a leader. Instead, I am continually growing; ever evolving into an amazing and effective leader through continuous hard work, dedication, focus, learning, and practice. It's a process that I have come to love; a journey worth pursuing. Mistakes have been made and failures learned from.

I'm not there yet, but I know the prize is within reach. I'm confident that soon, I will be known as an "effective leader," and will leave a legacy of amazing leadership. Projects will be accomplished, peers will be inspired, and lives will be touched. Why? Because I'm determined to make a difference; to inspire and motivate others; to lift up others above myself. I'm determined to be an extreme leader!



How about you? Were you born a leader, or did you have to work at it? I know it's a big debate, and I'd like your take on it? Also, what are you doing to ensure your success as a leader? Do you have the confidence needed to accomplish your leadership goals?

8 comments:

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

Hi Eric, my leadership came later in life. When I was young I did not have the confidence, but in the last 10 years I've become a new person. I've learned from many mistakes and I've learned much from other leaders like you. It's a process and I'm still on the pathway.

Eric Peterson said...

Robyn - Thanks for stopping by. I think Leadership is a process for everyone. Even the most renowned leaders are still learning; still improving. Also, confidence is a key ingredient in leadership. I feel an effective leader needs to have self confidence (of course without being "cocky").

Anonymous said...

Hard work is definitely a key to leadership. Without a willingness to dig into the trenches with the group and a strenght of character, combined with a foundation of knowledge, a leader will not survive.

I think leadership can be taught, but there are some personalities that might have a more natuaral inclination to it.

I have confidence as a leader that comes from years of education and experience. But, each time I go into a new situation, I walk a line of getting up to speed while keeping my confidence and resraining any over-confidence. Leadership and how to best apply it is a constant learning experience!

Brenda said...

I'm still a leader-in-training! And I'm learning that the most important aspects of leadership all rest on the integrity of the relationship I have with myself.

Eric Peterson said...

Francies -
Thank you for stopping by. I agree with you that there are some traits that leaders are born with. Again, the good news for those not-so-natural-born-leaders is that leadership can be learned.

I love your point about the application of leadership. You are right on the money. How to apply it is most definitely a constant learning experience

Eric Peterson said...

Brenda,
Well said! Leaders need to have a relationship with themselves before they can ever think about leading others! Confidence, Love, Empathy are all traits I feel a leader must posess to be able to win the hearts of others.

Anonymous said...

Adverse situations sometimes do create and 'trained' people to become leaders, and I also agree that situations reveal who are the real leaders. It gives people the opportunity to reveal their strong sense of responsibilities, mature thinking and hidden capabilities.

Leaders do not tell others they are leaders. They attract followers of similar vision and core values through their walk.

Eric Peterson said...

Jacklyn,
Exactly! Real leaders lead through example. They walk the walk. I like how you state that "they attract followers of similar vision and core values through their walk."

I think effective leaders rely on the work ethic and character to be able to build their referent power, which attracts others too them. Too often I see "managers" use positional power to gain compliance. What leaders rely need to rely on is their referrent power to induce committment!