Monday, November 05, 2007

A Must Read: "The Age of Conversation"

I'm reading "The Age of Conversation" for my graduate leadership class at Drake University, and I must say that I am enjoying it quite a lot. It's a compilation of 100 different essays/articles/pieces on conversation. It's a great read. All 100 pieces of work are one page long, which makes it very easy to digest. They are short, sweet, to the point, and they are written by over "100 of the world's leading marketers, writers, thinkers and creative innovators."

The book started out as a dare from the editors, Gavin Heaton and Drew McLellan that challenged bloggers around the world to contribute one page on the topic of conversation. It includes massive amounts of information on conversation, dialogue, blogging, branding, and other topics. It truly is a masterpiece! But, here's the real power of the book: ALL proceeds from sales of the book go to Variety, the Children's Charity.

I recently ran across a couple posts that share some information about "The Age of Conversation." You can read Gavin Heaton's here and Drew McLellan's here.

Here's the deal. This is a great book that many people can benefit from. So, I suggest that we spread the word. If you are an active blogger, please mention this post, or one from any of the contributors, or refer them to Drew. I've listed some of the contributors below. Better yet, why don't you buy the book from lulu.com, for yourself. In fact, buy a few copies and give them out as gifts. The Christmas season is closely approaching!

Happy reading! And, Happy conversing!

Partial List of Contributors to "The Age of Conversation:
Todd Andrlik, G Kofi Annan, David Armano, Steve Bannister, Cam Beck, Jordan Behan, David Berkowitz, Mark Blair, Becky Carroll, Katie Chatfield, Tony D. Clark, Tom Clifford, Mack Collier, Peter Corbett, Chris Corrigan, Rishi Desai, Mark Earls, Anna Farmery, Julie Fleischer, Phil Gerbyshak, Bob Glaza, Janet Green, Ann Handley, Gavin Heaton, Robert Hruzek, Spike Jones, Valeria Maltoni, Drew McLellan, Connie Reece, Sandy Renshaw, Mike Sansone, Greg Verdino, Roger von Oech, Steve Woodruff, Troy Worman

8 comments:

Gavin Heaton said...

Thanks for the review, Eric. Glad you are enjoying the book!

Anonymous said...

Eric, it's so good to hear that you're benefiting from the book. It was a wonderful project to be involved with. And btw, I too have a cat and a beagle!

Anonymous said...

Eric, good to find you in great company -- that of the many authors of The Age of Conversation. Thank you for spreading the word!

Eric Peterson said...

Gavin - I appreciate you visiting my site. I do think this is a worthwile book for anyone to read. I hope your sales soar!

Connie - It's neat to see so many different people from different backgrounds come together and produce such a collaborative work! - Also, don't you just love beagles? I should update my profile to say "married, with 2 daughters, a female cat, and a female beagle." I'm the only testosterone in the house - Don't you just feel for me? ;) Actually, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Valeria - It really is great to be in such great company. And, I love spreading the word about such a great book! Also, I love that proceeds are going to charity. All 100 authors deserve a pat on the back for that!!!

Mack Collier said...

Eric thanks for mentioning the story of AoC, and that the book benefits Variety, the Children's Charity!

Eric Peterson said...

Mack - It's my pleasure. It's a great book and the proceeds go to a great cause.

Thank you for writing one of the articles!

Anonymous said...

It was a joy and privilege to be associated with The Age of Conversation and then you see a post like this, which shows that it is helping people...wonderful.

Eric Peterson said...

Anna - Thank you for stopping by. I'm confident that this book can help many others besides me. It's just getting the word out so others can benefit.